Thursday, August 12, 2010

Professor Sandie Mary Yvonne

Media X - Howard Rheingold teaches about Socia...Image by Marc_Smith via Flickr
Day Twenty Six,

Buzzwordy tilted his head back and saw the middle-aged man reaching forward to snatch the social media book from the book shelf.  Without any hesitation, he grabbed the book and darted towards the fiction aisle.

"You, hey you over there!  I told you before that no one should touch that book.  What is wrong with this world when a reputable and educated business professor gets no respect from the working stiffs!" screamed the middle-aged man in a trench coat.

Buzzwordy played his cool without responding.  He found an empty chair next to the fiction aisle and plunged himself deep into it.

"Are you deaf?  Don't you know who I am?  I've taught so many working stiffs in my career and don't even get an ounce of appreciation.  Look, I don't have time to waste on you, just hand that book over now!" demanded the business professor.

Many questions were going through Buzzwordy's mind.  He could either play cool or put on his boxing gloves to confront the professor.  He could also get Mosaic, the stoned clerk in the bookstore involved if he wanted to.  But he ended up deciding on an even better trap for the business professor.

"Oh, hi!  Didn't I hear you said that you're a business professor at some local college?  Do you teach marketing or economics?  I'm Buzzwordy by the way.  I suppose that both of us are looking for the same kind of social media book so we could stay ahead of the learning crowd." smiled Buzzwordy as he reached his hand out to shake the professor's hand.

Buzzwordy's move shocked the professor and he wasn't quite sure how to take it.  Reluctantly, he also reached his hand out to shake Buzzwordy's hand.

"Alright!  I'm Sandie, professor Sandie, and that is how I'm called.  I teach marketing over at the local junior college.  Look, Buzzwordy, I got to run so lets keep our conversations short!" reacted the professor with a glaring discomfort.

"This is absolutely wonderful.  I'm also in marketing myself.  It is always a pleasure for me to bump into some intellectuals once in a while.  What is your take on the future of social media and how will this trend impact the traditional marketing role today?" probed Buzzwordy.

Sandie took a deep breath, fetched a discolored scarf from his trench coat pocket and wrapped it around his neck, and gazed at Buzzwordy intensively.  It was Sandie's odd behavior that reminded him about how cold the professor's hand was.

"Umm, my fellow marketing stiff, your question is an interesting one.  Like you, I'm also looking for answers myself.  That is why I need to pick up these books.  Do you get my point now?" replied Sandie.

"Great response Sandie!  Since both of us are seeking for the same answer and this social media book tends to provide some insights, I think it will be beneficial for you and I to each have a copy so we can all read and compare notes in a week time.  What do you think?" suggested Buzzwordy.

Sandie squeezed and twisted his scarf like a pretzel, stuck his tongue out, and paced back and forth in the fiction aisle for several minutes.  Buzzwordy knew that his suggestion got the professor thinking hard and that was a very encouraging sign. 

"Alright, Mr. marketing stiff, before I agree to anything, why don't you tell me what your plan is?  Will you be willing to come to my class and share your social media insights with me and my students within two weeks?" proposed Sandie.

Buzzwordy stared at Sandie like a cobra eying on his prey.  He tried to remember if he had scheduled some out-of-town trips in two weeks, made family commitments, ... etc.  Nothing came up.

"Sounds like a deal Sandie.  I accept your invitation.  Lets exchange our contact information!" agreed Buzzwordy.

Sandie spat on his palm and grabbed Buzzwordy's hand to ink the deal.  This was his way of solidifying an agreement.  He left his business card behind and took off like a bat out of hell.

"Call me to fix the date!" yelled Sandie.

"Professor Sandie Mary Yvonne!" laughed Buzzwordy hysterically as he stared at the business card.

Don't go anywhere, Buzzwordy will be back on Day Twenty Seven.

Buzzwordy 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment