Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Meet Ming the roadrunner!

Day Sixteen,

Meet Ming the roadrunner!


The early morning climate in Kuala Lumpur was relatively cooler comparing to the normal temperature that bestowed upon the city once the sun came up.  Buzzwordy dragged his luggage down to the hotel lobby around 4AM for his check-out so that he could take a cab to the airport.  He was half asleep but excited about going back to the States where he had scheduled a de-briefing meeting with Xavia.  His trip to Malaysia was nothing but problematic and he intended to share his encounters openly with his boss upon his return.


"Good morning sir, did you have a taxi reservation for the airport?" asked the hotel receptionist.


"Good morning to you as well.  Yes, I did.  In fact, just to be safe, I spoke with another person behind the front desk twice in the last two days just to be sure that I won't miss my taxi pick-up at 4:15AM today." responded Buzzwordy.


"Very good sir, please let me double check for you!  By the way, my name is Ditto!" smiled the well-mannered hotel receptionist.


"Well sir, looks like you're all set.  Your cab driver is Ming and he will be arriving soon." confirmed Ditto.


Buzzwordy thanked Ditto for his help and sat in an embroidered chair facing the hotel entrance.  Right before he began to doze off, a sharp screeching sound (probably from someone stepping on the brake just a little too hard) woke him up. 

He raised his head and saw this midget-like man in his fifties running into the lobby.  His perspiration was intense.

"I'm Ming from Ming's Cab and I come here for Mr. Buzzwordy.  I will take him to the airport now!" panted the tiny cab driver.

"I'm Buzzwordy and good morning Ming,  I'll follow you to your cab." replied Buzzwordy.

After settling into Ming's cab, Buzzwordy found himself being surrounded by intriguing ornaments throughout the entire interior of the vehicle.

"Sir, I can see you liking my hanging ornaments.  They are my pride and joy.  Every time when I beat someone on the road, I will reward myself with an ornament.  Can you see this one here?  This is my latest trophy.  Very exciting!  I'm pleased to take you to the airport.  You're flying on Singapore Airlines, right?  Don't worry, I will get you there in no time and of course in one piece.  Do you know what the other cab drivers in the city call me?  They call me Ming the roadrunner!" giggled Ming.   

"Thanks for sharing your achievements with me Ming.  Your background is indeed very interesting!" nodded Buzzwordy suspiciously.

"Wait a second, why are you changing your regular shoes into these platform-looking shoes?" questioned the marketing whiz kid.

"Sir, these are my roadrunner shoes and they are great for stepping on the gas pedal and braking with very little efforts from my part.  Please don't worry.  We should go now!" reassured Ming.

The next 50 minutes of Buzzwordy's road trip to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport was a living resemblance of a death race.  Ming was laughing and sipping on his thermal bottle every time he passed another car on the road.  The light traffic in the morning just added fuel to the fire for him since there was basically no congestion anywhere to slow him down.  He was laughing incessantly and uncontrollably as he continued to accelerate his vehicle.

For the life of Pete, Buzzwordy became fearful for his life and kept telling Ming to slow down.

"Sir, please calm down.  We are almost there.  When we get to the international terminal, I'll reward myself with another ornament.  Oh, I better call my girlfriend Keshi when we get there.  She misses me!" shrugged Ming.

Buzzwordy kept telling himself that Ming wasn't doing this intentionally to frighten him but the lure of winning another ornament was the only motivation behind this madness.  What was bothering him the most was the incessant giggles and laughs that Ming gave out whenever he passed other vehicles on the road. 

"We're here Mr. Buzzwordy.  Have a safe trip back to your home and please come again to Kuala Lumpur.  Here is my business card for your reference." signaled Ming.

Buzzwordy paid Ming for his cab fee without any tip and hastened his way towards the airport terminal.  He could hear the roadrunner swearing behind him.

It was time to go home and that was the only thing for him to look forward to.  

"Xavia is going to get an earful when I get back." sneered Buzzwordy.


See you all on Day Seventeen.


Buzzwordy 


 
Video references:

 Chinese Silk & Chinese Embroidery

Silver Ornaments


Book references:

Platform Shoes: A Big Step in Fashion (Schiffer Book for Collectors)

Would You Believe...in 1500, Platform Shoes Were Outlawed?: and Other Fashion Follies

No comments:

Post a Comment